October 1, 2008

Why I'm glad most of my friends aren't dating!

Back in the dark ages of high school and college, most of my friends and I were in the same 'dating boat' and let me tell you, those were some rocky seas! I'm delighted to be one of the only one of my friends dating, because you all help keep my 'boat' steady out once again on the rocky seas! Yes, as I've admitted in the past, it does take a village to get a girlfriend ready for a date. It takes a committed, intuitive, resourceful village to get a girlfriend ready for a fancy date.

Clearly, I've not been getting out into the adult world much! Okay, that's not entirely true, I've been to Parent teacher meetings, choir practice, book club, work and I even sit with adults at those high school football games. However, none of these events require heels, hose or out of the ordinary undergarments! Once again, I'm learning something new! A friend loaned me a "body shaper" much like a slip/bra/straight jacket guaranteed to smooth the tummy down, while keeping the 'girls' up. For the first time in my life, I got stuck in my underwear. I thought for a little while I was going to require help from the kids to pull mom out of the this 'slip', the body entrapper. I don't care what my friend says we are NOT the same size! Still, I am enlightened and now know exactly what to buy to go under my new red dress, however in a size that actually encourages breathing and movement.

The response of the 'village' to this fancy date, reminds me in a way of an Amish barn raising. The community has been summonded and they have flocked in with skirts, tops, dresses and undergarments to assist in outfitting and building up one of their own. This is community and I just can't do life with out it!

Oh, and the red dress.... fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. I can help with the hose. I took a four hour class about it last night.

    ReplyDelete