October 4, 2008

My kids are enough

This is a unique time in life for my kids and myself! Not only do they have teenage angst, but they also have a parent who's dating. That is something that I have not experienced, and never expected to have them experience as well, but here it is. When I was a teen my parents embarrassed me all the time, after all, they were old, they were bossy and my dad was a dead ringer for Rodney Dangerfield, but at least they didn't date! As for my kids and I, I'm sure I have the better end of things, after all, I have them!

They keep me focused on the most important 'thing' I am doing with my life right now, which is raising them. There are probably days that they feel they are 'raising' me, but such is their path! I am a wise parent, but very naive in worldly ways, so they are often explaining the world to me. Telling me, that no one says that any more, complete with eye rolling that my language is so 1970s. Yes, it is true that I do use words that embarrass them, like 'neat' and 'terrific', which are just such great words. I refer to these as my "Marcia Brady vocabulary", however, when did people stop saying "with it"? As in, that is so 'with it'. This comment never fails to get major eye rolling complete with heavy sighs from them. Hey, I've had a lot to learn in this last year, clearly a new vocabulary has not been a part of it!

They may find my vocabulary lacking and know that I have the ability to embarrass them to no end, by such horrific things as having fun in public, laughing too loud or the worst, praising them in front of other people! However, for me, they are my landing place. They honestly believe in me and what a gift that is. They do not think I'm too old or too fat or any of the other 'toos' or junk I might carry around in my head. Really, all in all, they give me enough to go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment