November 3, 2008

What do you call him?

I am dating one man. I can handle saying that. I can say, "Oh, the man I'm dating". I can even call him by his name, which happens to be the same as my father's, but I think I already went over that dilemma.

However, I get tongue tied and trip all over the words at, oh alright then, b..b..boyfriend. I mean he is 55 years old for heaven's sake! He hasn't been a boy for a very, very long time, in fact his boys are almost not boys anymore.

Clearly we need a bit more vocabulary here. 'Boyfriend', just sounds... funny, odd and weird. 'Man friend' sounds like something from a Frankenstein movie. To say, 'my friend' sounds gay and I although I happen to adore gays, I am not, so that doesn't help. There are a few other words I could use, but they actually only get me into more trouble.

When I told him one lunch that one of the kids had called him, my 'boyfriend'. He just smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment